What is document management?
Document management refers to a process that captures information from physical documents and transfers it into a software system. This process includes tracking the location of documents within the system and storing them in a digital format. The type of software system that handles this process is called a document management system (DMS).
- DMS software can control the following:
- How information is captured from documents
- Who can access the documents
- Document workflows that stay within the business structure
- How easily you can access documents in the system
- The key features of a DMS system include:
- The ability to ‘check-in’ or ‘check-out’ documents ensures only one user can edit a document at any given time. This feature prevents multiple users from creating duplicates or overwriting someone else’s work.
- Version control tracks how a document is developed to its current status and edits to previous versions.
- Simple ‘rolling back’, which allows you to revert to previously saved document versions in case of errors or accidental deletion of information.
- Audit trails to show you who accessed a document, who edited it, and when a specific event occurred throughout the document’s lifespan.
- The ability to annotate documents provided as needed, including a digital stamp or signature to verify authenticity, whether or not a process is complete.
- Secure access controls to prevent unauthorized users from accessing, deleting, or editing documents.
- Storage locations that allow you to quickly and easily access documents at any point within the system.
- The many benefits of a DMS system to improve business functions include:
- Helping reduce the need for physical storage space. With increasing property and storage costs for hard copies, a DMS solution will help you keep expenses down while freeing up a lot of space.
- Keeping sensitive data protected and controlling who has access. In addition, a DMS provides an audit trail showing every instance that a document was interacted with, indicating type, author and time of any interaction
- Helping you easily meet any regulatory compliance requirements. Documents can be easily classified and stored and given automatic retention schedules. The features will significantly reduce the risk of fines and other penalties.
- Making searching for and retrieving documents a quicker and easier process. The ability to find documents using different search methods and access them from any location is a must. This function helps save time and resources used in tracking down information.
- Allowing for better sharing and collaboration between multiple employees, teams, and even businesses. Documents in a DMS can also be accessed from different locations, meaning the same information is available /in real-time forto those who need it.
- Keeping data safe through better-implemented backups and disaster recovery plans. In case of disaster, having electronic copies of documents will ensure that no information from physical records gets lost.
- Creating a more productive work environment by saving time and resources. This process will help increase employee morale and boost customer satisfaction. In addition, it helps make your workplace more flexible so that it can meet future needs.
What exactly is docuvita?
Docuvita is a software provider founded in 2004. The company offers an affordable DMS solution for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The docuvita DMS has a highly intuitive design, so it is very easy to learn, and it can adapt to each company’s unique needs. The docuvita DMS solution features everything you should expect from a standard DMS, including centralized digital storage, easy retrieval, access control, auditing, etc. The DMS can also integrate with a wide range of applications, including xentral’s ERP software system. Today, over 1,000 companies use docuvita. All of them enjoy many benefits, such as higher productivity, reduced operational costs, and data storage cost savings.
An overview of documents increases work efficiency
Several studies surveyed an extensive range of employees to examine how document searches in everyday work affected employee performance. An average of 25 percent of the surveyed employees claimed they find it challenging to find the right documents and templates while working. They often stumble upon multiple document versions, misplaced information stored in wrong folders, or inconsistently named documents. To ensure that all documents imported into xentral ERP and those generated by the enterprise resource planning software are available for quick retrieval, we developed an interface to connect with docuvita.
The DMS system provider also offers an EMC (enterprise content management) system. The content software allows you to manage digital documents from a single centralized location independently. docuvita is aimed not only at small and medium-sized enterprises but also start-ups, serving the same target audience as xentral ERP.
All-in-one-system: five advantages of coupling your ERP with a DMS
- Automated document entry: all documents are automatically registered and filed. Since documents do not require manual archiving, employees can save a huge amount of time working on them and, of course, retrieving them afterwards.
- Potential savings from archiving: all data from previous fiscal years flows from the ERP to the ECM system, which typically offers you much cheaper server storage space in the long run.
- More efficient documentation: since the DMS system clearly shows each processing step taken by the staff for all documents, your employees will always have quick access to the most up-to-date document versions.
- Location-independent document access: since docuvita is also a cloud solution, employees can access documents anytime, even when working from home.
- Audit-proof document archiving: documents stored in an ERP system must be secure to ensure compliance with commercial laws and codes, such as the International Financial Reporting Standards. The DMS system handles all of the legal ly-compliant archiving formalities.
The xentral ERP transfers all documents directly to the docuvita DMS system
docuvita’s new interface makes it easier for xentral users to search for and manage documents. The coupling of xentral’s ERP with docuvita’s DMS is particularly convenient for companies when locating delivery bills, claims, and invoices. The entire search process can be fully automated, from checking incoming invoices to posting them and processing payments. The system can also detect and sort duplicate documents, which reduces error rates to a minimum.
Try the xentral ERP with the docuvita DMS system today!
Are you interested in seeing how the xentral ERP system works with the docuvita DMS platform? Then why not try out the interface for yourself and see if it works for you? You can download xentral’s ERP and take advantage of our free 14-day trial today.